rearview mirrors


Looking in the reflection of a rearview mirror

It does what it’s designed to do

It reflects what’s behind me

It keeps me aware of what I’ve passed

It gives me a glimpse of silent continued activity

It lets me see what may or may not be encroaching

It allows me to see things from a different perspective

I can use it while I’m still moving forward

Sometimes I use it when I’m at a stand still or my progress is hindered

In some cases, things make more sense from here

Looking back, without having to turn around

Some things in it, I could never have seen without it

Different angles, different scenes, with different lighting

When the light reflects too brightly, I flip the mirror angle up a bit and bend the light just enough to change the perspective once again

I can still use it to glance at once in awhile and the glare is quieted

Nonetheless, I still need to pay attention to the road ahead of me to keep from slamming into the person’s rearview mirror in front of me

A reminder that "windshields are bigger than the rearview mirrors" that are attached to them

I re-focus ... I concentrate ... 


And I accept the permission to move forward

Jesus has already gone there… He’s already been down the road I’m traveling on

Do I see Him?

If I don’t see Him, do I still know the way?

Do I trust that the road just won’t empty off the earth into nothingness?

Or rather, do I trust that if the road did simply empty into space… that He would catch me?

And that I would be ok …










Comments

  1. Ah... the infamous rearview mirror. I remember some advice that I received - "A good driver spends just as much time glancing in the rearview mirror than he/she does looking forward." One of those hidden moral lessons. :) Thank you for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts