Protect

"Collect good people, truly good people... And protect and love them the best you can." I don't know who to credit that powerful little quote to but I can be certain that I'd love to share a ceramic cup of life with him, toward the end of a rainy day, near a fireplace ablaze with possibility!

The word "protect" climbed up the back of my neck and seared its' grip into me; A little too tightly to be ignored. My core responded and leapt forward and up. A mixture of emotions tried to climb up my throat, but were stifled by the interference. So I swallowed hard! And I listened.

Then I counted; Dozens of beautiful hearts and minds that I had collected along the way. Memories and passion that created an arsenal of treasure. I added them to my recent discoveries that have been re-defining "good people" on the wildly colorful pages of today and the blank ones of tomorrow. And I stopped to give thanks.

I cherish these people.
I protect the people that I love.
I love the people that I protect.

At times though, I've interfered and had to be rightfully knocked out of the way! Consequence, Pain and Lessons thumped me hard and left purple shiners as proof that they'd been there. I've been heartbroken and left with gaping wounds that wonder why and wonder how; And still I've protected the inflictor(s) in the name of true love. That won't change any time soon.

At other times, I've loved beyond reason and protected, with sword and shield! I'm good at that. Lots of growl and a fearsome bite, with a well-defined right hook, has stood in front of many of my loved ones on more than one occasion. Those occasions will keep showing up and I will be waiting!

Then there's the quiet, gentle, warming protection that covers and cradles and holds. Protection like this is laced in acceptance and safety that only a mother can pour out. It protects by allowing the fall, by allowing the stumble. Then it encourages and cheers, and lends a hand as he climbs back up. That kind of protection comes naturally for me.... It's in my blood.

Recently, I found a new warrior role for Protection; One that will probably take years to perfect. From its' failures and successes, dreams and nightmares, I'm sure chapters will continue to unfold. It's a deeply personal adventure of self-protection, without the walls, without the running, without the fear! It's an outside-looking-in stance. The true battle will rage deep inside the crevasses of years of brokenness. And where once the space existed, gold will fill the gaps. And it will shine!

Comments

  1. Ahhh, protecting ourselves, the one aspect that is often ignored or forgotten. Go for Gold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts